- Electric Blanket & Heat Pad for more comfort in Winter
- Heated Blanket and Heated Pad: which material to choose?
- How does an Electric Blanket or Heated Blanket work?
- Types of bed warmers: Mat Heater and Electric Blanket
- Why should I buy a Heated Blanket?
- Buy Electric Blanket - Some Dos and Don’ts
Electric Blanket & Heat Pad for more comfort in Winter
In the evening, a nice, warm bed offers a lot of comforts. Especially during the cold periods of the year. An electric blanket or a heated blanket can relieve the first seasonal cold. And make for a long night's sleep that will be beneficial for your body and restore your energy.
Thanks to heated blankets and throws, you can ensure all the comfort you need when low temperatures become more noticeable. Without resorting to traditional hot water bottle.
Safe and easy to use, warming blankets allow you to reach the ideal temperature in your bed in a few minutes. While avoiding having to keep the heating at maximum with a big impact on your bill.
On Klarstein you can find a wide range of heated throws. King size and single electric blankets, heating mats, pillows and heated blankets in different colours and sizes. Perfect for all occasions when a little extra warmth can make the difference.
They can be used on any type of bed. But are also perfect for a nap on the sofa or while reading your favourite book in an armchair. Below we provide you with some basic information to show you the different types of devices available.
Don't be taken by surprise when the coldest season arrives. Take advantage of the offers available on Klarstein. You can find a wide range of thermal blankets and heated throws available in various colours.
Heated Blanket and Heated Pad: which material to choose?
A thermal blanket is an extremely versatile product. You can use it in bed instead of the standard throw or duvet. You can slo use it while lying on the sofa, even while travelling.
There are battery-powered models which operate at 12 volts. They can also be powered by the car's cigarette lighter socket.
The features that most affect the price of an electric blanket and electric throws are materials and models. The range is extensive, from polyester to cotton, from wool up to mixed fabrics. Wool products are the most expensive and in general. We advise to choose heated blankets made with natural materials because they guarantee substantially better breathability.
However, most of the thermal blankets are made of synthetic fabrics. In which case it’s better to go for the softest possible material to make the most of your purchase. If you suffer from an allergy, it is preferable to choose a product made of hypoallergenic or antibacterial fabrics. The latter prevent the deposit of mites and dust generated by electromagnetic fields.
How does an Electric Blanket or Heated Blanket work?
The operating principle of an electric blanket is similar to that of all appliances that somehow heat up, from toasters to electric ovens. The resistance contained inside heats up as the electric current flows through it, and the heat is transmitted to the different layers that make up the thermal blanket.
The process takes place in a controlled manner, and latest generation devices are equipped with protection systems. These prevent the blanket from reaching excessively high temperatures, eliminating the risk of electrical discharges, fires or other accidents.
Their use couldn't be simpler. All you need to do is lay them on the bed. Then taking care to avoid forming creases that could damage the internal circuits, and turn the electric blanket on a few minutes before going to sleep.
To avoid risks deriving from excessive heat or long-term effects on the body caused by the electromagnetic fields that these devices generate. It is advisable to avoid keeping them on all night long.
The power of a thermal blanket or electric throw is generally between 50 and 150 watts, and consequently, consumption is extremely low, making these devices a practical and more efficient alternative to to the intensive use of heating in your bedroom. In addition, some features now present in most models make it possible to further configure their usage, increasing safety and reducing costs. Among the most common functions provided by the latest generation of electric blankets, it is common to find:
- Adjustable temperature control: next-generation heated throws come with a switch, in some cases equipped with a display, to set the desired temperature precisely on two, three or more levels, and in some cases also in different zones. A dual control electric blanket has generally two separated switches, to allow greater flexibility.
- Fast heating: thanks to this option, models with a higher voltage allow the desired temperature to be reached in an extremely short time.
- Timer: it programs the automatic switch-off after a certain time of use, predefined or set by the user, as well as the switch-on.
Electric blankets and heated blankets can be hand-washed, or machine washed, depending on the model and the material. It is always a good idea to read the instruction manual of each model carefully to understand how they can be washed safely, making sure the circuits and the fabric are not damaged. Spending a few minutes to read the instruction manual will let you know some unknown function or learn something to avoid problems with the new product.
Types of bed warmers: Mat Heater and Electric Blanket
The term bed warmer is normally used for all products that use electricity to heat the surface of the bed. They are available as electric blanket double, king size electric blanket and single electric blanket.
It is important to distinguish between thermal mat heaters, to be placed between the sheets and the mattress, and electric throws or blankets that replace duvets and traditional wool blankets. The former offer greater efficiency from the point of consumption, since all the heat generated by them stays in the bed, and are subject to less wear and tear over time, because they are laid on the mattress are less likely to form wrinkles.
Heated throw blankets are less efficient, as half of the heat produced is actually dispersed towards the ceiling. On the other hand, they offer more versatility. As they can also be used on a sofa replacing a normal blanket. And even when travelling, when equipped with a battery power system or with connected to the cigar lighter socket.
Why should I buy a Heated Blanket?
The benefits of using a thermal blanket are primarily economic, practical and for your health. By heating the bed with an electric blanket or throw, you can lower the room temperature. You can save on heating costs while enjoying the warmth under the blankets.
The same is also true in other rooms in the house, for example in the sofa in front of the TV. With a warming blanket you can keep yourself warm even when the heating is off.
Modern bed warmers nowadays ha features that make them practical, easy to use. And above all, safe! Among them, a timer for automatic switch-off, silent controls, preheating functions, overheating protection, the choice of different materials and colours, washable, warranty and dual control for king-size models. There are many good reasons to use a heated blanket, which will allow you to:
- Enjoy that wonderful feeling of going to sleep in a warm bed. An electric blanket is an excellent alternative to a heater to avoid suffering cold when sleeping.
- Use less energy and save on heating costs
- Keep yourself warm in cold rooms without needing bulky duvets or heavy blankets
- Reduce the pain associated with sore muscles, arthritis, back pain and fibromyalgia
- Manage the individual comfort of two people in the same bed, with a double electric blanket. When it’s equipped with dual control
- Rest better in a cool room while remaining warm in bed
- Reduce allergies and sinusitis problems
Buy Electric Blanket - Some Dos and Don’ts
Modern thermal blankets are very reliable. If you take trivial and straightforward precautions, they are no more dangerous than any other household appliance. All brands of bed warmers provide recommendations for the safe use of their product. But general indications can be given as follows:
- Do not use electric blankets with young babies or children, or with people who cannot use the controls properly and independently
- Do not run the electrical cable between the mattress and the bed base. Rubbing the electric cable may damage it and make it dangerous
- Avoid using the heated blanket on reclining beds that can grip the controls or pinch the electric wire
- The electric blanket and the thermal mattress cover must not be used rolled up. But spread out well, to avoid damaging the internal wire
- Do not use the bed warmer in the presence of animals. A sharp claw or tooth may pierce the insulation of the wire or damage the internal cable
- Avoid using sharp or pointed objects that could damage the thermal blanket
- Remember to turn off the device when not in use
- Never iron the warming blanket or heated throw
- Do not dry-clean it with solvents or other products that may deteriorate the fabrics
- Do not use the mattress warmer with a water mattress
- If you notice anything unusual when using the blanket or electric heated pad, contact the manufacturer